News & Profiles
- This month in @UMASS
If you have a car registered in Massachusetts, you can bid on low and special numbers of the UMass Amherst license plate in the upcoming auction, March 16-23. Take a look at the online catalog where you will find plates 3-99 and special plates 100, 123, 777, 911, 1001 and 2013 (some exclusions apply). This auction is open to the public and winning bids are tax-deductible. Most importantly, auction proceeds benefit scholarships and programs provided by the Alumni Association that further advance UMass Amherst. Let the bidding begin!
This month in Student @UMASS
Students danced the night away at Love Comes Out: An LGBTQ and Allies Dance. Free and open to all students, the party had lots of give-aways, romantic prizes, and of course chocolate! View photos. Photography by Annette Gildshtein '15
- Bradley Paul '89, HFA sent this photo from Mozambique where he works for an NGO focused on rural development in the agricultural sector. Brad helped the owner name this neighborhood bar, which is generating a lot of buzz about the Minutemen!
Read more class notes and submit your own!
Alumni News and Profiles
- Creator of "The Million Dollar Arm"
- In the sports marketing arena, the name J.B. Bernstein '90 is synonymous with innovation, creativity and problem-solving. Bernstein has represented some of the greatest athletes of all time including Barry Bonds, Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. He is also the mastermind of The Million Dollar Arm contest. This revolutionary reality TV show and talent search for baseball players in India yielded the first two Indian-born men ever to sign pro sports contracts in the United States.
- Alumna senior leader at CSU Channel Islands
- Gayle Hutchinson '90 Ed.D. recently assumed the role of Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at CSU Channel Islands. She previously served as Dean of the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences at CSU, Chico. In 2005, Hutchinson was selected as one of 39 faculty members and administrators nationwide for the American Council of Education (ACE) Fellows Program.
- Alumna Shirazi appears in video campaign
- Public Health alumna Eliza Shirazi, '13, appears in Australis Barramundi's new "Be Better" video campaign. In the video, she shares how she developed "Kick It With Eliza" group fitness classes while a student at UMass Amherst and how her success helped change her life.
- Isenberg Graduate Joins NBA Associate Program
- In a field of 3,000 applicants, Melcolm Ruffin '13, a graduate of Isenberg's Mark H. McCormack Department of Sport Management, is among eight candidates who will join the National Basketball Association's prestigious NBA Associate Program. The eight to 12-month rotational program immerses trainees in a wealth of management and leadership challenges at the NBA's league offices in Manhattan and Secaucus, New Jersey.
- ECE Alumnus Runs ZeroLag and Doubles as Racecar Driver
- Greg Strelzoff '94 is consumed by two high-profile occupations that each depend on speed, precision, and high performance. Strelzoff is the CEO of ZeroLag, a Los Angeles based dedicated hosting company that allows its customers to enjoy full leverage of all their server resources, including customization of storage, memory, or networking configurations to suit their needs. In addition to running ZeroLag, Strelzoff is also a racecar driver, beginning in 2009 with the Skip Barber Summer Series, an entry-level professional car-racing circuit.
- Read more alumni profiles