Role and Responsibility of Directors
Directors are elected or appointed to the Board of Directors based on their demonstrated leadership, involvement, support and commitment to the Alumni Association and the University of Massachusetts Amherst. In accepting election or appointment to the Board, an individual agrees to actively participate in a leadership role and commit to work collaboratively in the best interests of the Alumni Association and the Amherst campus.
All members of the Board are called upon to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Learn how the Alumni Association functions and understand how the organization supports the mission and goals of the university.
- Become familiar with the programs and activities sponsored, organized and coordinated by the Alumni Association and the alumni clubs.
- Understand that the Board is responsible for strategic policy development and oversight. Refrain from involvement with day-to-day management of Alumni Association operations.
- Serve in an advisory capacity on behalf of the Alumni Association, and provide active support through resolutions and board advocacy.
- Respect the limits and authority of officers, directors and staff and understand that authority rests with the Board as a whole and not with individuals.
- Assist the Alumni Association in identifying, cultivating and engaging alumni volunteers in the life of the university and Alumni Association programs.
- Serve as a representative and spokesperson in your local community for the Alumni Association and the university. This may involve talking with prospective and current students, meeting with other alumni, communicating with area legislators or attending local alumni club events.
- Represent the Alumni Association and the university at institutional and alumni activities and programs.
- Attend and participate in scheduled Board meetings.
- Serve actively on at least one Board committee.
- Contribute financially to the Alumni Association and the university. All Board members are required to be sustaining members in good standing, or Life or Legacy members of the Alumni Association.
Directors must also agree to sign and abide by the Volunteer Code of Conduct.